Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Nonsequential Links IV

Yet more items that you might have missed, which means I have to post stuff like this way more often. As always, my comments are in parentheses.

To wit: It is easy to dismiss an ugly, angry man who makes his point through yelling at you; not so easy, however, to dismiss a man who has made the very same point whilst being clever and well-dressed and making you laugh. Doh! (I need to remember this point the next time I’m tempted to write a really really angry post on my blog.)

One friend of mine hated the movie, mainly for this particular plot point, but I found it entirely realistic. I've known people who have made these kinds of choices in their lives. (I’ve always been a bit more cynical about this movie than Jaquandor yet there are parts of it I love quite well. It might not be the ultimate romantic comedy but it is one of the most successful attempts at one that I have seen within the last decade.)

I already knew what America looked like during the Depression because the Stooges had shown it to me. (No, he’s not talking about Iggy Pop’s former group. And yes, I could nitpick and point out that many of the Three Stooges shorts -- especially the most famous ones -- were shot in the 1940s, but I’ve seen quite a few such shorts recently and I can see what Mr. Mannion is talking about.)

Perhaps the world is changed for the better one person at a time; one relationship at a time. Maybe personal utopia is possible; even if social justice remains perpetually just out-of-reach. (As always, Mr. Muir comes up with an insightful review, this time of one of my favorite sci-fi films of the late 1970s.)

And one more thought for the day: Remember that whatever group you belong to, like it or not, you are a representative of your group. I’m talking about Democrats, Republicans, White, Black, Oklahomans, New Yorkers - whoever you identify with. The way you act in public, including online, colors the way people not in your group think about all members of your group. (I should have posted this last year but I got busy and I forgot. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home