Tuesday, December 30, 2008

It’s Over

I won’t pretend that this will be the most popular list on this theme but it includes my favorites so I’d like to think it qualifies as a worthy contender. Isn’t it pretty to think so?...

I. The Obvious:

"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

"Forget it, Jake. It’s Chinatown."

"Nobody’s perfect."

"Buck up - never say die. We'll get along."

"The stuff that dreams are made of."

"Always look on the bright side of life!"

"That'll do, pig. That'll do."

"You maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"

"I don't have to see it, Dottie. I lived it."

"You be careful out among them English."

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

"There’s no place like home."

"Some men get the world. Others get hookers and a trip to Arizona."

"Thank God for that. For a moment there I thought we were in trouble."

"I used to hate the water..." “I can’t imagine why."

"That was the boogeyman."

"There's a lot to be said for making people laugh. Did you know that that's all some people have?"

"Tomorrow is another day."

"We belong dead!"

II. The Not-So-Obvious

"Closer than that, Walter.” “I love you, too."

"How do you know they'll print it? You can take a walk. But how far if they don't print it?” “They’ll print it."

"That son-of-a-bitch stole my watch!"

"Shhh!….Listen….Bombs!"

"I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning... even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there."

"Hogarth, you stay. I go. No following."

"All right, you great git, you've asked for it. I'll cover the world in Tastee-Freez and Wimpy Burgers."

"Better keep the doors closed and keep out the drafts as Dr....Starr used to say."

"He was madly overacting, as usual, but you must admit he knew how to make an exit."

"Allow me to introduce myself. I'm the Invisible Man."

"Alex, will you come in, please? I wish to talk to you."

"Boy!"

"I live inside the weak and the wounded."

"Yes, smaller than the smallest, I meant something, too. To God, there is no zero. I still exist!"

"Oh, I suppose not. Only, which three books would you have taken?"

"Never. Oh, never. Nothing will die. The stream flows, the wind blows, the cloud fleets, the heart beats. Nothing will die."

III. Images

Poor Diane Keaton getting the door closed in her face in The Godfather.

Michael Corleone remembering his father's birthday in The Godfather, Part II.

The mirror scene at the end of All About Eve.

Amy Irving’s dream in Carrie.

The aftermath of the shootout in Cutter’s Way

The aftermath of the shootout in Blood Simple.

Vincent Price singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" at the end of Dr. Phibes Rises Again!.

The final shot in Spellbound.

Warner Baxter celebrating his "success" in 42nd Street.

Gwyneth Paltrow emerging from the surf in Shakespeare in Love.

The top men in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The sled burning in Citizen Kane.

The cane in the window in Miracle on 34th Street.

Linda joining the club in Holiday.

The final car ride in Harold and Maude.

The marble game in Men in Black.

Jean Arthur looking at the coin in Only Angels Have Wings.

The finale of The More The Merrier.

IV. Musical Numbers:

Well, there's this:



And on a lighter note...



Ochi chyornye to you all too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home