Thursday, December 18, 2008

Movie Song of the Week: “Silver Bells”

From 1951's The Lemon Drop Kid, it's the original movie version of “Silver Bells,” a song that has become as identified with Bob Hope as the song “Thanks for the Memories.”

I don't always care for most of the Bob Hope movies I've seen but I did like this one. Perhaps because the movie was inspired by an old Damon Runyon short story. Or perhaps because it has moments that are actually funny. Plus you have Marilyn Maxwell, who plays Hope's girlfriend and vocal accompanist in this number and who is easy on both the eyes and the ears.

Btw, if that guy in the Santa suit at the beginning of the clip -- the one who isn't Bob Hope, of course -- looks familiar, it's because he's William Frawley, an actor who is most famous for playing Fred Mertz on the TV series I Love Lucy -- as well as for having a key role in another famous Christmas movie.

Anyway, I hope you all like it.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger The Siren said...

Like it? I LOVE it. I feel all warm and happy and in the spirit now. I haven't seen this movie in a while and I had forgotten how this number makes me cry, because I am a sap but also because it's wonderful. One of Bob Hope's best moments.

I too love Damon Runyon.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Tonio Kruger said...

Yes, it is a wonderful number. I've always liked the song but now that I've seen it in its original context, I really really really like it.

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home