Thursday, December 18, 2008

Pop Song of the Week: “You Wouldn't Fool Me, Would You?”

Well, since the powers that be seem bound and determined to make all of us Americans relive 1929, I might as well post an actual song from 1929 that should be more pleasant to listen to than the latest economic news. In this case, it's Annette Hanshaw's 1929 hit “You Wouldn't Fool Me, Would You?” a nifty little number in which she -- among other things -- imitates her friend and rival Helen Kane (a singer of the same era who is most famous today for singing “I Wanna Be Loved By You” and providing the vocal inspiration for Betty Boop.)

Anyway, halfway through this song, Hanshaw sounds like she's dancing but I have no idea what she's actually dancing on. I keep imagining she's on top of a table but that's probably my overactive imagination speaking more than anything else. Besides, she sings too sweetly to deserve any cheap shots about table dancing. Especially since her definition of “table dancing” would be way different than our own.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the song.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home