Sunday, June 20, 2010

Trailer of the Week: El Dorado (1966)

This was one of the first movies my late father recorded on his VCR. I am not sure why he did so given his frequently expressed disdain for John Wayne, but he did it. And I cannot say I am sorry that he did so given that I found this to be one of John Wayne's better -- if less well-known -- movies.

It does not hurt that the same movie gives us a glimpse of the early James Caan before he became much more famous for playing -- ahem -- other stuff. And of course, Robert Mitchum is always a welcome sight.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I'm probably one of the few people who thinks El Dorado is a much better film than its original, Rio Bravo. I like both the maturity that Wayne and Mitchum bring to the roles, and also how Wayne's character has slowed down and become less effective with age.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Tonio Kruger said...

I'm not about to disagree with you, Ivan. El Dorado has long been a favorite of mine for both emotional and cinematic reasons. I never did acquire the same love for Rio Bravo even though it's the more famous of the two. (And yes, I have seen Rio Bravo.)

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home