Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Big Hollywood Turn Me Loose and Set Me Free

I was going to post a comment on John Nolte's Big Hollywood site last night until I remembered that Lent starts today and that I promised myself I would give up silly political arguments for Lent. Which means I probably won't be commenting on any site between now and Easter.

Besides, as much as I love many of the old movies that are often discussed on Big Hollywood -- and it should be obvious by now that I have a great deal of affection for old movies -- and as much as I sympathize with certain conservative values -- I love motherhood, America and apple pie as much as the next person -- I don't quite feel comfortable with many of the opinions expressed on that site. There are some conservative sites -- such as Rod Dreher's Crunchy Con site -- that seem quite open to discussion, even with people who disagree with them, as long as said disagreements are expressed in a civil manner. And then there's Big Hollywood.

Plus when you have a grandmother who was dispossessed by the Mexican Revolution and former classmates who were exiled to the US by the fall of Saigon, you get really, really tired of Americans who are always kvetching about how horrible it is to live in a country where not everyone agrees with their political opinions. Americans who would have you believe that they are worse off than people in Cuba and China just because their views are not fashionable. No one likes a person with a perpetual martyr complex -- especially an unearned martyr complex -- and it is hard to have an honest discussion with such a person. I don't like such people when they argue on behalf of the left and I don't like such people when they argue on behalf of the right.

So I am giving up the Big Hollywood site for Lent. Wish me luck.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home