Thursday, February 19, 2009

Movie Song of the Week: “Big Spender”

And here's Shirley MacLaine's Charity Hope Valentine with the 1969 version of “Ten Cents a Dance.” Okay, I'll admit I like this song too and I can never have too many kind words for the choreography of Bob Fosse. Plus, this is one of my favorite songs from 1969's Sweet Charity, which was Bob Fosse's directorial debut. (There is one number I like better but I'll post it at a future time.)

I'm not too crazy about certain portions of this movie but I do own a copy on DVD so I obviously have some fondness for it. However, I'm still embarrassed by how old I was before I figured out what this song really meant. I mean, I got the obvious wordplay of lyrics like “hey big spender, spend a little time with me” right away when I was a kid but the more adult implications of the song just flew right by me. Which makes me wonder what today's children will make of today's music.

Anyway, I hope you all like the song.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home