Thursday, July 03, 2008

The Best Gift I Ever Received

The best gift I ever received was the gift of life.

I received it not on Christmas or my birthday but in August of 2004 when my best friend talked me into calling a doctor about a rapidly worsening medical condition and then called an ambulance for me when it became obvious that my medical condition was even worse than she had thought it was. She rode with me in the ambulance en route to the hospital, she called my mother so that she could meet us at the emergency room -- in short, she was there for me at a time when even I wasn't there for me.

If I hadn't been such a stubborn fool about my health, I could have avoided the whole thing, but hey, hindsight is always 20/20 in this regard. And yes, the time I spent in the hospital that August was the same time I encountered this week's Ad of the Week.

Anyway, in the end, I lived. And every day since has been lagniappe.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home