Thursday, May 01, 2008

Pop Song of the Week: “La Bamba”

Yes, I know. “La Bamba” isn't really an '80s tune because the original version by Ritchie Valens came out in 1958. Plus Los Lobos (who plays the tune in this video) isn't really what most people think of when they think of an '80s band.

Yet I didn't start this blog to post what most people think. I started it to reflect what I think.

And since one of my dearest memories of 1987 involves seeing my favorite first cousin dance an impromptu dance to the last few notes of this song, I can't help but salute that memory with this post.

Wanna argue that the 1987 movie from which this song is derived is maybe a bit pro-assimilation to be politically correct (an argument once made by writer Enrique Fernandez in The Village Voice)? Go ahead.

But I'm not posting this song to salute La Bamba director Luis Valdez's political views. I'm posting it to salute the memory of my favorite first cousin. As well as the memory of all my Mexican and Mexican-American relatives. I'm not sure how much they'd appreciate this post but still...

It's the pensamiento that counts, right?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home