Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Quote of the Week

I've had this movie in my head since I was 6, not as a story but as an idea. When I saw the creature swimming under Julie Adams [in 1954's "The Creature from the Black Lagoon"], I thought three things: I thought, "Hubba-hubba." I thought, "This is the most poetic thing I'll ever see." I was overwhelmed by the beauty. And the third thing I thought is, "I hope they end up together."
--Guillermo del Toro, "Guillermo del Toro's highly personal monster film 'The Shape of Water' speaks to 'what I feel as an immigrant'", Los Angeles Times, September 5, 2017

My comment:

That wasn't exactly my reaction to my first viewing of Creature from the Black Lagoon. But then I saw it before I hit puberty.

Even when I saw it afterward that, I don't remember having any poetic thoughts about Julie Adams and the Creature though if I saw it for the first time today, there's a chance that I might. Then again when I was a young teen, I remember being far more obsessed with where the shrunken people in Dr. Cyclops got their clothes...

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home