Sunday, February 19, 2012

Hey, I Don't Remember This Show: The Super 6

Believe it or not, there is life after Bugs Bunny. Noted Looney Tunes animator Friz Freleng used to be one of Warner Brothers' most famous directors of a certain cartoon rabbit but after the WB closed their animation studios in 1963, Freleng and his partner, David H. DePatie, had to found their own animation company (DePatie-Freleng Enterprises) in order to continue working. Their first big hits were the theatrical Pink Panther cartoons which would be later shown on Saturday morning TV. Their first big hit made specifically for the small screen was this rather unusual cartoon show, followed by the short-lived Super President, whose intro I posted last week.

The Super 6 lasted from 1966 to 1969 but for some reason, I don't remember it. Perhaps because I was way too young to remember its original run. Or maybe it was not particularly widely syndicated in my part of country. Whatever the reason, it was definitely before my time.

By the way, if the voices behind that theme song sound familiar, it is because that song was sung by Gary Lewis and the Playboys of "This Diamond Ring" fame. And yes, I was also very young when they were popular.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home