Thursday, February 09, 2012

Movie Quote of the Week

Well, I've given that a lot of thought, y'know. Now that I'm being ostracized by my friends, I've had plenty of time to think about it. And what I've come up with is really simple. I came to this on my own terms. Y'know, I didn't just heed what I was taught: men, women should be together; it's the "natural" way -- that kinda thing. I'm not with you because of what family, society, life tried to instill in me from Day One. The way the world is -- how seldom it is that you meet that one person who just gets you. It's so rare. My parents didn't really have it. There's no examples set for me in the realm of male/female relationships. And to cut oneself off from finding that person... to immediately half your options by eliminating the possibility of finding that one person within your own gender -- that just seems stupid to me. So I didn't. But then you came along You, the One Least Likely. I mean, you were a guy.

And while I was falling for you I put a ceiling on that, because you were a guy. Until I remembered why I opened the door to women in the first place: to not limit the likelihood of finding that one person who'd complement me so completely. So here we are. I was thorough when I looked for you. And I feel justified lying in your arms, 'cause I got here on my own terms, and I have no question there was some place I didn't look. And for me that makes all the difference.
--Joey Lauren Adams, Chasing Amy (1997)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home