Sunday, July 25, 2010

100 Sci-Fi Books One Must Read

A list I got by way of Byzantium's Shores, who got it from here. Bold is for the ones I have read, italic for the ones I would like to read but have not yet. I do not own many sci-fi books nowadays that I have not already read so I will skip that part of blogging tradition. My comments on certain titles are in parentheses.

The Postman –- David Brin
The Uplift War -– David Brin
Neuromancer –- William Gibson
Foundation –- Isaac Asimov
Foundation and Empire –- Isaac Asimov
Second Foundation –- Isaac Asimov
I, Robot -– Isaac Asimov

The Long Tomorrow -– Leigh Brackett
Rogue Moon -– Algis Budrys

The Martian Chronicles -– Ray Bradbury
Fahrenheit 451 –- Ray Bradbury
Something Wicked This Way Comes –- Ray Bradbury

Childhood’s End –- Arthur C. Clarke
The City and the Stars –- Arthur C. Clarke
2001: A Space Odyssey –- Arthur C. Clarke

Armor –- John Steakley (?)
Imperial Stars -– E. E. Smith
Frankenstein -– Mary Shelley (I used to own this book but I had to sell it.)

Ender’s Game -– Orson Scott Card

Speaker for the Dead –- Orson Scott Card
Dune -– Frank Herbert (I actually owned this book once but I had to sell it before I ever got around to reading more than the first chapter.)

The Dosadi Experiment –- Frank Herbert
Journey Beyond Tomorrow -– Robert Sheckley (I have read a lot of Robert Sheckley short stories but I have never heard of this book before.)

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy –- Douglas Adams
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? -– Philip K. Dick
Valis –- Philip K. Dick
A Scanner Darkly -– Philip K. Dick
The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch –- Philip K. Dick
1984 –- George Orwell (Who has not read this book? Do not most people read it in high school or college?)

Slaughterhouse Five –- Kurt Vonnegut
Cat’s Cradle -– Kurt Vonnegut
The War of the Worlds –- H. G. Wells
The Time Machine –- H. G. Wells
The Island of Doctor Moreau -– H. G. Wells
The Invisible Man –- H. G. Wells (What sci-fi buff has not read Wells at some point in his or her life?)

A Canticle for Leibowitz –- Walter M. Miller, Jr.
Alas, Babylon -– Pat Frank
A Clockwork Orange -– Anthony Burgess
A Journey to the Center of the Earth -– Jules Verne
From the Earth to the Moon –- Jules Verne

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea -– Jules Verne
Old Man’s War -– John Scalzi
Nova Express –- William S. Burroughs
Ringworld –- Larry Niven (I started this as part of my reading for a sci-fi reading group of which I was once a part but I never finished it.)

The Mote in God’s Eye -– Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
The Unreasoning Mask -– Philip Jose Farmer
To Your Scattered Bodies Go -– Philip Jose Farmer (Wait! Only two Philip Jose Farmer novels on this list?)

Eon -– Greg Bear
Jurassic Park -– Michael Crichton
The Andromeda Strain -– Michael Crichton
Lightning –- Dean Koontz (Not really my favorite Dean Koontz novel but I can see why some might want it on the list.)

The Stainless Steel Rat -– Harry Harrison
The Fifth Head of Cerebus –- Gene Wolfe
Nightside of the Long Sun –- Gene Wolfe
A Princess of Mars –- Edgar Rice Burroughs
Cryptonomicon -– Neal Stephenson
Snow Crash –- Neal Stephenson
The Stars My Destination –- Alfred Bester

Solaris –- Stanislaw Lem
Doomsday Book –- Connie Wills (Only one Connie Willis book on this list?)

Berserker -– Fred Saberhagen
Time Traveler’s Wife -– Audrey Niffenegger
The Word for World is Forest -– Ursula K. LeGuin
The Dispossessed –- Ursula K. LeGuin
Babel-17 –- Samuel R. Delany
Dhalgren -– Samuel R. Delany
Flowers for Algernon -– Daniel Keyes
The Forever War –- Joe Haldeman
Star King –- Jack Vance
The Killing Machine –- Jack Vance
Trullion: Alastor 2262 -– Jack Vance
Hyperion –- Dan Simmons
Starship Troopers -– Robert A. Heinlein
Stranger in a Strange Land -– Robert A. Heinlein
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress -– Robert A. Heinlein

A Wrinkle in Time -– Madeleine L’Engle
More Than Human -– Theodore Sturgeon
A Time of Changes –- Robert Silverberg

Gateway –- Frederick Pohl
Man Plus -- Frederick Pohl
The Day of the Triffids -– John Wyndham
Mission of Gravity –- Hal Clement
The Execution Channel -– Ken Macleod
Last and First Men –- W. Olaf Stapledon
Slan –- A. E. van Vogt
Out of the Silent Planet -– C. S. Lewis
They Shall Have Stars –- James Blish
Marooned in Realtime –- Vernor Vinge
A Fire Upon the Deep –- Vernor Vinge
The People Maker -– Damon Knight
The Giver –- Lois Lowry
The Handmaid’s Tale -– Margaret Atwood
Contact –- Carl Sagan
Atlas Shrugged –- Ayn Rand (I know. I should be ashamed but I am not. Besides, I once saw this novel in a relative's book collection and was always curious to find out what he saw in it. Mind you, I have read books that are better. A lot better.)

The Fountainhead -– Ayn Rand
Battlefield Earth -– L. Ron Hubbard (??? What the heck is this doing on the list?)

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court -– Mark Twain (I am not sure Twain belongs on a list of sci-fi books either but at least he -- unlike Hubbard -- is worth reading.)

Little Brother -– Cory Doctorow
Invasion of the Body Snatchers -– Jack Finney
Planet of the Apes -– Pierre Boulle

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home