Monday, November 16, 2009

Buscando Trabajo de Nuevo: Parte IV

I spent most of the past month wondering if I was going to turn into the protagonist of George Orwell's Keep the Aspidistra Flying because like him, I was finding myself becoming more and more obsessed with money, class issues and missed opportunities. On the bright side, I do like to think I treat my sister better than the guy in Orwell's novel treated his, but then if you have read the novel, you know that is not saying much.

Anyway, today I finally got a callback on one of my job applications only to make the mistake of trying to answer the phone with my mouth full. Whereupon the caller promptly hung up. I am not sure if I blew the job altogether or whether there is still a chance I will get another callback but so far... No news. And I have been wanting to kick myself all afternoon for acting like a stupid sitcom character at that one moment that I really did not need to act like one.

I may actually get an unemployment check next week. But I dare not count on it too much. And anyway, I do not really want to be on unemployment. I would rather have a job.

Lately it seems that everyone I know has been in the middle of a bad soap opera. In fact, I am still waiting to hear from one female friend who had to take a drug test last week and who was positively frightened at the idea that she might flunk it and lose her job. In the past, I would have been a lot more judgmental about such a person, but having seen how responsible this person acts in the other areas of her life -- especially when caring for her children -- I must confess that I am quite sympathetic towards her. Not because I believe in illegal drug use; just the opposite. I can be as militant about drug dealers as anyone but I also tend to be skeptical about the notion that the war on drugs is going to be won by punishing the heck out of some poor single mom who has a few tokes with her friends on her day off. But then poor single moms do not tend to be big campaign contributors so I do not see that type of drug policy changing any time soon. Unless she moves to California. But that is obviously not an option at this point.

Oh, well. I have plenty of reasons to keep my fingers crossed this week. Isn't it such a good thing that the recession is over?

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home