Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother's Day Was All Greek to Me

I was actually able to take time off Sunday to celebrate a decent Mother's Day with my own mother and my siblings. We went to a Greek restaurant in Mesquite -- not exactly Detroit's Greektown but as close as we were going to find in this part of Texas -- and enjoyed ourselves immensely.

I even had a chance to sample Greek coffee for the first time. As much as I liked the food and service, though -- and I liked them a lot -- I doubt I'll be sampling Greek coffee a second time. The drink was too thick and powdery and I'm not really a big coffee drinker anyway. I did appreciate, however, the good humor our waitress showed in dealing with my family. Waitresses can't get enough praise for the way they put up with all the things they have to deal with in the course of their duties and yet it seems like the last cultural item that acknowledged this was the comic strip "Tina's Groove."

After our meal, my siblings and I took my mother to a movie. For some reason, she had her heart set on the new Star Trek movie, which surprised me since she never seemed to be a big fan of any of the various Star Trek series. I guess this mean I'll probably need to retract all the snarky comments I have been making about the movie as of late.

Anyway, it took a while to find a showing we could get into -- apparently going to see it on opening weekend and expecting to get in at the last minute were two very incompatible ideas -- but we finally got in and we all enjoyed it. At least my mother and my three siblings did.

I kinda enjoyed it but I can't really pretend I'm in a big hurry to see it again. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home