Friday, October 03, 2008

Movie Song of the Week: “Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head”

In honor of the late Paul Newman, it's B.J. Thomas's Oscar-winning song from 1969's Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Yes, it's a corny choice, but it's not like the late Paul Newman starred in a lot of musicals. Besides, he and Katharine Ross make quite a lovely couple. And I just love that part where she reaches for the apple.

As you might guess, this film holds a special place in my heart since it was one of the first grown-up movies I ever saw in an indoor theatre. I still remember wondering what my mother must have thought during the more “adult” portions of the movie and I even remember feeling a little embarrassed for her sake during the brothel scenes. And yet I never really regretted seeing this movie either.

True, it might be regarded as a shameless whitewash of the real Butch Cassidy and company, but if seen as a fictional Western, it certainly makes for a mighty fine bit of storytelling. And I'm not just saying that because Ms. Ross is so darn cute.

I hope you enjoy it.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home