Thursday, September 25, 2008

Movie Song of the Week: “Muchacha”

You say you want a revolution? Busby Berkeley's got your revolution right here in the middle of his 1935 movie In Caliente. Of course, it's the Mexican Revolution. Or at least what looks like Hollywood's version of the Mexican Revolution. Dolores del Río's character would have you believe they're just bandits.

Since my paternal grandmother was dispossessed by the Mexican Revolution, I can't help but wonder what she'd think of this number. For that matter, I can't help but wonder what she'd think of those lyrics. And shouldn't the title of this song be “Mujer” and not “Muchacha”? (Mujer means “woman” in Spanish and muchacha means “girl.”)

I was tempted not to post this, but hey, I did post a song last week that made fun of Dolores del Río and it only seems fair to give her a chance in the spotlight.

I hope you enjoy it.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home