Saturday, June 07, 2008

Twenty “Worst” Chick Flicks

Yet another idea “borrowed” from Byzantium's Shores: a list of the alleged twenty worst “chick flicks” of the last twenty years and my thoughts on the same:

20. Autumn in New York.

I haven't seen it.

19. The English Patient.

I haven't seen it.

18. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.

I haven't seen it.

17. The Notebook.

I actually did see this. I'm not going to pretend I liked it (after all, the main plot twist is given away in the trailer) but I was more moved by James Garner's performance than I expected to be. So I can't say I hated it either.

16. Dr. T and the Women.

I haven't seen it.

15. Sweet November.

I haven't seen it.

14. You've Got Mail.

The only good thing about this movie was the soundtrack album and the fact that it inspired me to rent from the local library a copy of the 1940 original The Shop Around the Corner. Then, of course, there's the fact that the plot of this movie just doesn't work as well as the plot of the original. After all, Jimmy Stewart didn't scheme to eliminate the store that was his would-be girlfriend's livelihood. And Nora Ephron never quite convinces me that it was a good idea for Meg Ryan to forgive Tom Hanks for doing just that. And as much as I loved The Godfather, I could not help but find Ephron's “all men quote The Godfather” routine to be forced and unconvincing.

13. The Princes of Tides.

I haven't seen it.

12. Georgia Rule.

Mi last ex-novia talked me into seeing this but I fell asleep halfway through the movie. What little I saw didn't exactly inspire me to stay awake.

11. Crossroads.

I haven't seen it.

10. The Bridges of Madison County.

I did see it. I was bored to tears. But at least I got a lot of chances to look at my watch.

9. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

I haven't seen it.

8. Fried Green Tomatoes.

I haven't seen it.

7. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

I haven't seen it.

6. Beaches.

One of my former novias was into the theme song for this movie. But I wasn't. Perhaps because -- you guessed it -- I haven't seen it.

5. Sleepless in Seattle.

I actually liked this movie, though I suspect it was more due to the Jimmy Durante song that played during the opening credits than its not-so-imaginative take on romance. At least I remember liking it more than You've Got Mail -- not that's saying a lot.

4. Dirty Dancing.

I liked it fair enough, but I never loved it the way some people seem to do. I liked the soundtrack fair enough, though I'm fairly sick of hearing The Contours' song “Do Ya Love Me” thanks to this movie.

3. Steel Magnolias.

I haven't seen it. Yes, I know. I should be ashamed.

2. Ghost.

It was okay. My sister liked it more than me. In fact, she cried at the end. I'll admit to liking it better than Jacob's Ladder, which was written by the same guy. But I didn't like it the way my sister liked it.

1. Titanic.

My middle brother once told my mother that as much as he liked this movie, he was certain that she was going to love it. He was right. I liked it well enough, but not as much as other people. And the whole Rose Dawson exposing herself -- er -- posing in the nude for the man she loved seemed like such a male-oriented fantasy that I'm still surprised that so many women take this film seriously. It's not quite deserving of the backlash against it, but then it's not quite deserving of the endless worship which prompted the backlash.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home