Wednesday, April 12, 2006

More Quotes I Like

People look for themselves in books and movies. They count on those touchstones, not so much for gospel as affirmation that others have walked the same path.
--Lily Burana

And still -- he was happy. For happiness, he told himself, is not in being loved -- which is a satisfaction of the vanity and mingled with disgust. Happiness is in loving, and perhaps in snatching little fugitive approaches to the beloved object.
--Thomas Mann, “Tonio Kruger”

I stand between two worlds. I am at home in neither, and I suffer in consequence. You artists call me a bourgeois, and the bourgeois try to arrest me... I don't know which makes me feel worse.
--Tonio Kruger in Thomas Mann's “Tonio Kruger”

I have taken Caliban's advice. I have stolen their books. I will have some run of this isle.
--Richard Rodriguez, The Hunger of Memory

Through my reading, however, I developed a fabulous and sophisticated sexual imagination. At seventeen, I may not have known how to engage a girl in small talk, but I had read Lady Chatterley's Lover.
--Richard Rodriguez, The Hunger of Memory

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home