Thursday, April 02, 2020

Pensamientos Acerca de Televisión

One Day at a Time: “Checking Boxes”

I finally got a chance to catch up with this show and my first thought was: Is that all there is to it?

And my second thought: This is supposed to be a critically acclaimed TV series? Dios knows that I tend to have a soft spot for comedy but for some reason -- okay, a lot of reasons -- this series didn't work for me.

As much as I admire supporting actress Rita Moreno and her past work and as much as I respect Justina Machado's work on Six Feet Under, I could not help feeling a little disappointed in their latest show. I would like to hope that it gets better as time goes on but since this is the first show of the fourth season, I'm not optimistic. And while I don't kid myself that the original One Day at a Time was a flawless classic, it did have a sense of story and character that used to be quite common in popular TV sitcoms. The newer version seems more content to rely on PC stereotypes and PC-related jokes that just don't work.

Oh, well. It lasted three seasons prior to this one so apparently somebody likes it...

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home