Friday, March 06, 2020

But Differ Greatly in the Sequel: Machete Kills


Apparently Machete does vex. At least that is what he did in the 2013 movie Machete Kills, a sequel to the 2010 movie Machete.

I wanted to like this film a lot than I did but I could not help hating the way Robert Rodriguez liked to constantly repeat his jokes. And what he did to Michelle Rodriguez's character was just pathetic. He wasn't content to present her as a badass rebel wounded in battle; he had to make her a pathetic damsel in distress as well. She deserved a way better ending than that.

Ironically, Hollywood outcasts Mel Gibson and Charlie Sheen came across a lot better even though their scenes were basically one-joke roles. And please don't get me started on how much more popular this movie seemed to be with liberal non-Hispanic critics than myself...

Of course, by now we should have seen the sequel to this movie and I suspect that if it hasn't been made by now, then it's never going to be made. Given director Rodriguez's everything-but-the-kitchen-sink approach to this series, I suspect that even he lacked faith that Hollywood would give him enough funds to create Machete III. Of course, given his approach to the Michelle Rodriguez character, I'm not convinced that that's a bad thing but still...

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home