Saturday, January 10, 2015

Pensamientos Acerca de TelevisiĆ³n

Suburgatory: "Pilot"

My favorite first cousin had this show listed on Facebook as being one of her favorite shows so I am reluctant to say anything really bad about it. Then again we are talking about a TV show set in the suburbs which pretends that the only Hispanics to be found out there are maids so I feel equally reluctant to pretend that there is nothing wrong with this series --especially the way it pretends that Hispanics like my cousin don't exist.

Then again my first cousin spent most of her teenage years in the suburbs so I feel weird second-guessing her. After all, when I was growing up, I identified more with the Ritchie Cunningham character on Happy Days than with Mexican-American characters like the Freddie Prinze character in Chico and the Man. It was not that I did not want to identify with any Latino characters on television; it was just that most of the characters I saw there had little in common with the ones I saw in real life. And here in 2015, I still see few Latino characters on television that I can identify with.

Fortunately, I grew up with enough admirable Latin relatives that I don't really feel like I missed out on much but it is amusing to see how little progress we have made -- apart from rare exceptions like American Family and Ugly Betty. And I never would have guessed that I would have been waxing so nostalgic for those shows this soon.

Oh, well. There are worse problems in the world to worry about.

On a more mainstream note, I guess I should be glad to see Jeremy Sisto playing a more normal role than the one he played on Six Feet Under. But -- yawn! -- it is not like this show is exactly exploring new ground. And please don't get me started on actress Cheryl Hines's broad Texas accent. I know her character's name is Dallas but seriously?

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home