Saturday, February 25, 2012

Hey, I Don't Remember This Show: Comrade Dad

Back when I was still watching PBS on a regular basis, I used to joke about one day writing a parody of Yes Minister called Yes Commissar, in which a clever British bureaucrat loosely based on Yes Minister's Sir Humphrey Appleby would regularly pull the wool over the eyes of his immediate Soviet superior while living in a Russian-occupied version of Great Britain. I never went through with that concept, of course, which is just as well since this show seemed to have topped my idea without even knowing about it. Perhaps the creators of this show were psychic. Who knows?

Anyway, I would have never thought anyone on either side of the Atlantic would have tried seriously to find humor in the idea of a fictional Soviet occupation but apparently I was wrong. So is this show yet more proof that reality really is stranger than fiction? Or perhaps 1984 and A Clockwork Orange were more influential on British TV writers than I thought.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home