Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hey, I Don't Remember This Show: The High Chaparral

According to the IMDB, this series was one of the first Western TV shows to feature Hispanic actors actually playing Hispanic characters -- apart from, of course, The Cisco Kid -- so naturally I never watched it.

Okay, to be fair, I was not a big fan of Westerns when I was growing up and while I would not have minded seeing a TV show with Hispanic characters when I was growing up, the only such show I remember watching on a regular basis when this show was on the air (1967-1971) was I Love Lucy.

I suspect such a failing is my loss since Argentine-born actress Linda Cristal -- who played Victoria -- was quite the looker in her day and the rest of the cast does not seem so bad either.

If I was more politically correct, I could say something snarky about the fact that the show was set in 19th century Arizona but then some of my favorite celebrities -- Linda Ronstadt, for example -- hail from Arizona -- and anyway, it is not fair to blame a show made in the late 1960s for the politics of the 21st century. Especially when the politics of so many TV shows of the 21st century leave much to be desired.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home