Saturday, July 03, 2010

Science Fiction Quote of the Week

Listen. When I was a youngster -- there were no dreamies then -- I knew a fellow who wrote television scripts. He would complain to me bitterly that when someone met him for the first time and found out who he was, they would say, “Where do you get those crazy ideas?”

They honestly didn’t know. To them it was an impossibility to even think of one of them. So what could my friend say? He used to talk to me about it and tell me: “Could I say, 'I don’t know'? When I go to bed, I can’t sleep for ideas dancing in my head. When I shave, I cut myself; when I talk, I lose track of what I’m saying; when I drive, I take my life in my hands. And always because ideas, situations, dialogues are spinning and twisting in my mind. I can’t tell you where I get my ideas. Can you tell me, maybe, your trick of not getting ideas, so I, too, can have a little peace?”
--Jesse Weill in Isaac Asimov’s “Dreaming Is a Private Thing”

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home