Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Nonsequential Links IX

Here we go again, along with my usual comments in parentheses. Which is just as well because I don't have time to write all the good stuff on the Internet...

A black friend of mine told me that all “halfies” have race identity issues and that I couldn’t be both I had to choose to be one or the other... I think the second part of that is BS. I can be both. (Yes, I am a sucker for items about half and halfs but then again, given my background, it seems silly to pretend otherwise. Besides, Elenamary has a point.)

And even Thomas Jefferson once said "eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Well, how can we be vigilant if we don't know what is being done in our names by our own armed forces?

So why not start a tax-subsidized newspaper to create some competition in the local newspaper business? And maybe a radio station as well. After all, if the people are paying for it, it would serve the people and not some private for-profit interest. (I think it is obvious in what spirit this quote is meant to be taken. If not, read the whole item.)

A little soupçon of affection for the past will not turn Mr. Weiner's dead-serious critique into "The Wonder Years Meets Ad Age." (The Siren goes after Mad Men with far more wit and style than I could ever pull off.)

I thought the lingering popular culture messages of "boys can be doctors and girls can be nurses" from when I was a kid were bad, but now it's "men can be doctors and women can be naughty nurses."

Money talks when nothing else does in America, and it doesn't need fancy rhetoric to be heard: just economic necessity.

I strongly believe Chewbacca could speak human if he so chose -- but he prefers to let the other characters shine. That's the sort of selfless assist to others that makes him perfect in the sidekick role.

According to the narrator, what is it that makes our heroine (Brigitte Nielsen) recognize Queen Gedren's (Sandahl Bergman) evil ways? Is it the pillaging of the landscape? Perhaps the slaughter of her entire family? No. It's that Queen Gedron thinks Sonja is hot.

Were he not a world-famous director with boatloads of powerful friends, but just a regular convicted sex criminal who had fled abroad, would anyone think it was asking too much that he should go through the same formal process as anyone else? (Yes, I linked to several items about Roman Polanski last time, but then again when an item seems worth a link, then it is worth a link.)

You can't say you're FOR an ideological blanket-statement like "small government" and then suddenly turn AGAINST it once the party opposed to you is in power if you want people to take you seriously. ('Nuff said.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home