Thursday, March 12, 2009

Dreaming of Jeannie with the Light Blonde Hair

Heh. First Jean Arthur woos me with her reaction to a coin in Only Angels Have Wings, then she does it again with her reaction to another coin in Easy Living, now she has me smitten with the note she slips Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. What can I say? I guess I'm an old softie.

Of course, it could be just that the contrarian in me hates how Ms. Arthur has been overlooked over the years. Nor do I like how she's been mocked for her distinctive voice -- as if having a distinctive voice is somehow supposed to be a handicap. Or maybe it is the way she manages to steal almost all her movies despite not exactly playing an aggressive character.

All I know is that I have yet to see a movie in which she has disappointed me. And there's not too many modern actresses about whom I can say the same thing.

I'll probably have more to say about Mr. Smith Goes to Washington in the near-future, but for now, I have to admit it had me at "starring Jean Arthur."

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger The Siren said...

Who mocks her voice? I adore her voice. The cinema needs more distinctive voices now.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Tonio Kruger said...

I adore her voice too.

But it seems like every other review I've read of her movies on Amazon.com and IMDB makes some mention of how younger people like to ridicule her voice. Which I don't get.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home