Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sueño o Pesadilla (Dream or Nightmare)

Every so often I have this dream about this blonde girl I know. She lives way across town but in these dreams I had recently, she lives in the same condominium complex that I do. At first I dreamt that she lived at the opposite end of the complex. I would always set out to walk down that way but I would never make it.

Then I dreamt that she lived next door. One day she would drop off a box on my front porch and I would hear it while I was sleeping. I’d get up and go to the door and call her inside. But she would always have a friend with her when she did come inside. A male friend.

And then my mother would show up. And my father’s oldest sister. And they would look at me disapprovingly yet not say a word.

I would start trying to talk with them but they would look at me silently. And harshly. No expressions of love here. It was as if all of them -- the girl included -- were wearing masks and if the dream lasted long enough, the masks would slip and I would realize what I had really let into my condo. And why I was fortunate I had never made it to the girl’s condo when she lived at the far end of my complex.

But I always woke up before the dream got to that point.

At least I’ve always woken up so far…

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home