Thursday, November 13, 2008

Movie Song of the Week: “42nd Street”

How odd that I started developing this weird obsession with the movies of the 1930s just before people on Wall Street and in Washington, D.C., started doing their damnest to bring back the 1930s. Perhaps it's just a coincidence. I would like to think that all this talk about the oncoming Depression is mere wishful thinking on the part of some pessimists. But I could be wrong.

Just in case, I prefer to relive the best of the 1930s, starting with the title song of one of my favorite movies, 1933's 42nd Street. I first got obsessed with this movie when I started wondered why the title character in John Sayles's The Lady in Red was obsessed with this flick. Once I saw a glimpse of the title number on YouTube, I was hooked and eventually I ended up watching the whole film on DVD. Busby Berkeley's musical vision is not for everyone and some on the Net have even hinted that his songs are in bad taste. If so, most modern musicals should have such tastes.

Now return with me now to those thrilling days of yesteryear when young women thought nothing about dancing on car tops and one never knew when one was going to run into a parade of tap-dancers. When life was so lyrical that even the wooden Indians danced and even domestic disturbances were choreographed. Okay, I doubt it was like that in real life, but in this movie number...

Well, please feel free to see for yourself. And I hope you enjoy it.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home