Thursday, November 06, 2008

All Politics Is Loco, Parte IX

I voted here in Dallas Tuesday afternoon and it took me a whole five minutes but then as I said, I went in the afternoon and not when most people were going to or from work.

I did see lines last week at some of the early voting stations which surprised me. But then I was equally surprised to note that I spent more time Tuesday conversing with a friend about the respective virtues of McCain and Obama than I did at the actual polls.

For that matter, I was surprised to note the return of paper ballots. At least for this past election.

There was a special electronic pad set up for handicapped voters at the voting station where I went and one of the people there told me that early voters got the electronic option as well. Apart from that, everything else was done the old-fashioned way.

Anyway, Barack Obama won and John McCain lost. And I would like to think that those who have been less than gracious about the results could learn a lot from the friend I mentioned above who could have said a lot of nasty comments but instead chose to look on the bright side of things and wish the winner well. I was surprised to hear McCain described by said friend as an underdog -- after all, he was endorsed by most of the conservative establishment. But then I have been surprised by a lot of things this election.

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

I can't help but agree with the various Internet wags who have compared this election season to the inevitable Christmas season. After all, both seem to start earlier and earlier each time and, of course, both involve promises that almost seem inevitably apt to end up broken. But I would like to believe that Obama is a good man and time will show me how right or wrong that belief is. Of course, I also had high hopes for Bush in 2000 but I'd rather not think about that right now.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home