Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Quote of the Week

In each setting, toward the end of my stay and after much anxious forethought, I "came out" to a few chosen coworkers. The result was always stunningly anticlimatic, my favorite response being "Does this mean you're not going to be back on the evening shift next week?" I've wondered a lot about why there wasn't more astonishment or even indignation, and part of the answer probably lies in people's notion of "writing." Years ago, when I married my second husband, he proudly told his uncle, who was a valet parker at the time, that I was a writer. The uncle's response: "Who isn't?" Everyone literate "writes," and some of the low-wage workers I have known or met through this project write journals and poems -- even, in one case, a lengthy science fiction novel.
--Barbara Ehrenreich, Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home