Friday, May 01, 2020

Trailer of the Week: Reds

Well, it is May Day.

But seriously, folks...

If nothing else, I have to respect the chutzpah Warren Beatty needed to get this movie made. Granted, it's not my favorite movie. And like most Americans of East European ancestry, I can't help but have mixed emotions about a movie that appears to celebrate the Russian Revolution. (My mother's maternal ancestors may not have done all that well under the Czars but it seems foolish to pretend that they did better under the Communists.)

Then again the movie was artistically ambitious in a way that I rarely see in high-budget movies nowadays. Plus it dared to be long enough to require an intermission at a time when filmmakers were being encouraged to make films that were shorter and shorter.

It's tempting to call this the other movie about 1917 but since I haven't seen 1917 yet, I'll leave it to others to make that judgment. In any event, you all are probably better off seeing for yourselves. Hopefully, it's still possible to watch it nowadays and not wonder whatever happened to Warren Beatty.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home