Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Pensamientos Acerca de Televisión

Penny Dreadful: “Night Work”

Oh my! And here I thought the Hammer films were violent!

I'm still not sure whether or not to praise Penny Dreadful. It was certainly more ambitious than your average horror film and it certainly deserved credit for doing its best to breathe new life -- so to speak -- into such characters as Dracula, Frankenstein, Dorian Grey and other Victorian characters. Yet there was something about the way it treated the main character -- Miss Vanessa Ives (played by Vesper Lynd herself aka Eva Green) -- that managed to be creepy in a way which I hope was unintended.

I would like to hope that there was more to this "re-imagining" of so many classical horror tropes than "let's make a modern version of a Hammer movie, only with far more sex, gore and nudity than they could have ever gotten away back in the 1950s". However, time will tell.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home