Wednesday, February 21, 2018

The Longest Ride Not Quite That Long -- Nor That Bad


Surprise! Surprise!

Actor Alan Alda of M*A*S*H fame is still making movies!

It would be nice if they were great movies but then even in his prime, most of Mr. Alda's movies tended to be acquired tastes as far as I'm concerned. That said, I could not help finding it a bit sad that Mr. Alda is now too old to be playing romantic leads and is now reduced to elderly supporting characters. Granted, the two lead cast members in his latest movie The Longest Ride -- namely, actress Britt Robertson and actor Scott Eastwood -- aren't bad to look at but neither one for all their efforts was as memorable as Mr. Alda was in his prime.

Then again my mother enjoyed this movie and I suspect women of her generation would appreciate this movie far more than me. Nor does it hurt if you like cowboys. The movie does try to have it both ways when it comes to art: on one hand, bashing modern art at every opportunity while at the same time praising the Britt Robertson character for her insight into -- well -- art. Yet more proof that it takes all kinds to make a world -- and a movie. (Did I mention that my mother liked this movie?)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home