Tuesday, September 02, 2014

¡Feliz Cumpleaños, Elizabeth Borton de Treviño!


AKA Mary Elizabeth Victoria Borton de Treviño.

Born September 2, 1904. Died December 2, 2001.

She was an American author who is most famous for her children's books as well as for the nonfiction book My Heart Lies South, which she wrote about her marriage to a Mexican citizen. I first came across her writing while I was courting a Mexican pen pal and while not all of her books are worth reading, I have come across enough memorable passages in her work that I find myself surprised by how often she moves me.

Ms. Treviño tends to be very Catholic and very conservative in her writing but she can also be surprisingly sympathetic to human failings. Then again, if there is one thing I have learned from my Mexican-American relatives, it's that being Catholic and having sympathy for human failings are not as far apart as certain non-Catholics would like to think.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home