Tuesday, June 25, 2013

¡Feliz Cumpleaños, Carly Simon!


AKA Carly Elisabeth Simon.

Born June 25, 1945.

She is the former spouse of singer James Taylor and a successful singer-songwriter in her own right. I used to listen to her songs endlessly when I was a teenager. She is most famous for such songs as "Anticipation", "You're So Vain", "That's the Way I Always Heard It Should Be" and the Bond film classic "Nobody Does It Better". Her 1988 song "Let the River Run" was the first song in history to win a Grammy, an Oscar and a Golden Globe for a song written and performed by a single artist. Ms. Simon is also noted for the modest way she posed for her early album covers.


Her father was co-founder of the publishing firm Simon & Schuster. Her mother was a singer and a civil rights activist. Her maternal father was Jewish and her maternal grandmother was of German, French, and Afro-Cuban descent. I know that Ms. Simon makes an unlikely Latina but then that could be said about a lot of Latin women.

Edited to add:

Heh. Irony. Apparently my talent for recognizing fellow Latins is not as accurate as I would prefer.

Mea culpa.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home