Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Quote of the Week

My cousin, who divides her profession and her marriage between Houston and Dallas, told me her yuppie friend’s little girl spied an equally yuppie black woman strolling her own daughter down the sidewalk and the delighted little white girl said, “Look mommy, a baby maid!”
--Debbie Nathan, “Lives of the Maids,” The Texas Observer, March 11, 1988, vol. 80, no. 5

My comment:

Needless to say, neither Ms. Nathan nor I endorse the mentality illustrated in this quote though I find it all too believable. Worse yet, I suspect that the only thing that has changed since that quote was first written is that today the little white girl would point to a Mexican woman's daughter before saying the same thing. I pray I'm wrong but still...

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home