Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Book of the Week



Okay, Ms. Lesley Hazleton's book England, Bloody England: An Expatriate's Return was published in 1988 so it might seem a bit dated to some nowadays. And I suspect that if I ever did visit England, I would be pleased if I found out that the country was not quite as bad as when Ms. Hazleton wrote about it.

Still...

I found it to be a refreshing change of pace from the usual Anglocentric travelogue that has nothing but unadorned praise for all things British. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but all too often, it seems as if such praise is inevitably followed by utter contempt by all things not British.

Then again, when you grow up among people who often had to pay a bitter price for not being of English descent, you tend to be a bit biased about this sort of thing.

Anyway, I like to think the book is well worth reading even if you don't agree with me.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home