Thursday, December 24, 2009

My Ten Favorite Christmas Movies

At least for this year. Ask me again next year and it might change.

1. Miracle on 34th Street (1947).

The original. Accept no substitutes. Writer Connie Willis once argued that it was the ideal Christmas movie because it is one of the few such movies in which the ordinarily bad elements of human nature combined to create something positive for a change. Which would count as a true Christmas miracle in my book.

2. The Shop Around the Corner (1940).

Not really a Christmas movie but it takes place around Christmas time so I guess it counts. Plus, at the risk of echoing the Self-Styled Siren, I must confess that the movie does a good job of capturing the type of Christmas time retail atmosphere that I experienced when I worked as a store clerk.

3. Remember the Night (1940).

I love Barbara Stanwyck. And I really love the way Preston Sturges took a premise that could have turned out hackneyed and made something pretty special. Especially poignant is a scene between Barbara Stanwyck and Elizabeth Patterson in which what is said is not as important as what is not said.

4. Christmas in Connecticut (1945).

I really love Barbara Stanwyck. And the rest of the movie is not bad either.

5. Holiday (1938).

The one Christmas-ish movie with Cary Grant that I like best even though it is not really a Christmas movie.

6. Holiday Affair (1949).

You would not think Robert Mitchum would be the type of person that you would associate with a decent Christmas movie but you would be surprised.

7. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993).

I actually used to know most of the songs in this by heart -- and who doesn't love Sally?

8. The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942).

A contrarian Christmas movie made long before they started making contrarian Christmas movies.

9. Love Actually (2003).

Not quite the ultimate Christmas romcom that it aspires to be but not a bad holiday movie. Some parts I like, some parts I really like, some parts are eh? One of the few movies released this decade that are anywhere near the top of my list of favorite Christmas movies.

10. It's a Wonderful Life (1946).

Some obscure movie that director Frank Capra made with actor Jimmy Stewart. Perhaps you have heard of it...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home