Friday, October 30, 2009

Oops!

I finally joined the MP3 revolution around this time last year and now the one brand of MP3 player that I really, really come to like is no longer being sold.

Granted, I could always break down and get an i-pod but I can't really afford one right now. Besides, the brand of MP3 player I got accustomed to was roughly the price of an old Walkman and that was within my budget.

I am tempted to say that is what I get for being a late adopter but like most people in my family, I was not raised to be an early adapter. Anyway, I find the whole idea of subsidizing someone else's technology -- which is what an early adopter does -- to be a bit foolhardy. If I was in a better financial position, maybe. But I am not. And I suspect I would hear my late father lecturing me on the virtues of frugality if I did so, anyway.

Besides, I prefer to invest in a technological device that actually makes sense for me to incorporate in my life. The one reason I finally broke down and got a cell phone is that because it gave me a handy way to communicate with my family and my former novia without being tied to the telephone I had at home. The one reason I broke down and got a DVD player was because I had moved to a smaller residence and I could not afford to devote a whole lot of shelf space to a VHS tape collection like I used to do.

I can understand why a businessman with several million invested in a certain invention would want to hasten the adoption process. But, unless he is going to pay me to use his device, I prefer to make up my own mind about when to adopt it.

Besides, early adopters all too often seem similar to the type of people who sneer at other people for having the wrong labels on their clothes. Especially when they are not just content to show off their new toy but also try and shame everyone within earshot into buying one too. After all, it is hardly a kindness to persuade people to spend money they may not necessarily have on stuff that they do not necessarily need just to please someone else's notion of fashion. And it is certainly not the act of a truly enlightened person.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home