Saturday, October 10, 2009

Movie Song of the Week: “Tears to Shed”

From 2005's Tim Burton's Corpse Bride, it's one of the oddest songs to ever appear on a Disney soundtrack.

I've always had a soft spot in my heart -- and no doubt in my head -- for this film even though it is not very popular with other critics. Yes, there are bits where Burton tries way too hard to imitate his previous success with Nightmare Before Christmas but in spite of that, the film had a certain something that I don't find in much of its competition. For nothing else, Burton deserves credit for having the chutzpah to make a film based on such an odd subject.

Plus I actually like this song -- and have sung along with it far more better than perhaps I should. In some ways, I identify with Emily, the movie character who sings this song. In other ways, I identify with Victoria, her romantic "rival." Oddly enough, I have never identified that much with Victor, the object of both characters' affections, but that, alas, is a subject for another day.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it -- and that ye gather ye rosebuds while ye may. Because you would not want to end up like poor Emily.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home