Sunday, January 18, 2009

R.I.P. Andrew Wyeth



As if enough famous people didn't die last week, painter Andrew Wyeth passed away this Friday. Most noted for his 1948 painting Christina's World and the set of nudes known as the Helga paintings, Wyeth was perhaps the last traditionalist artist in America.

Personally, I always admired his style -- not just because he was one of the painters whose work my late father collected in artbooks and because his work inspired the cinematography of Peter Weir's Witness but also because Christina's World (seen above) was my idea of the definitive painting. I don't really care if his art can be considered conservative or not. I do know that it spoke to me in a way that most art created within my lifetime does not -- and without being created with me in mind.

As long as I'm alive -- and hopefully longer -- he will be most ardently missed. But at least his artwork is still with us to observe and to appreciate.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home