Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I Looked at Ice from Both Sides Now...

We actually had a minor ice storm here in Dallas last night. A storm so bad I could not even open my car door this morning without first pouring water on it -- and even then I could only open the car door that was on the side facing the rising sun.

Okay, it could be worse. I could have had snow to contend with as well. And now that the sun is out, I suspect most of the worst ice patches will be gone by noon.

The ex-Detroiter in me should be glad about this weather. And if I were still a young kid who lived for snow days and snowball fights, I probably would be disappointed that the winter weather wasn't more wintry. But now that I'm an adult, ice and snow don't seem like that much fun. Especially if you have to drive somewhere and contend with all the drivers who seem to forget everything they ever learned about driving on snow and ice every winter. Or if you have to walk outside for a long while and have little more than a thin coat to protect you from the wind.

I thank God I have a good supply of thick gloves and winter caps. Then again I really need to break down and buy a good scarf. The habits that I acquired up North always seem to be useless in the South but then a day happens like today and suddenly I'm glad I learned them.

The only problem is that over the years, I've become addicted to the South's warmer temperatures. If I ever had to move back to Michigan where days like this are more frequent, I don't know what I would do.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home