Monday, June 11, 2007

Mother of Mercy! Is This the End of Cinemarati?

Apparently, it is.

Cinemarati, for those of you who are unfamiliar with it, was a website devoted to film commentary. It was one of the first such sites on the Net and for a long time, it was very easily one of the best. I used to post on that site quite frequently when it was a mere messageboard, and when the administrators decided to change formats and turn the site into a weblog, I still kept on posting there, choosing to exchange my old user name of Thomas More for the more literary name of Tonio Kruger.

Quite recently the site has had a number of technical difficulties, and because the difficulties were beyond the power of the current administration to fix, a decision was made to close the site down.

In some ways, I'll miss it. After all, I learned a lot from Cinemarati, and I doubt I would have been inspired to start this weblog if it was not for the inspiration I received from my fellow Cinemarati posters. I still remember the many words of kindness I received from the good folks at Cinemarati after my father died, and for that alone, I'll retain many fond memories of Cinemarati.

However, all good things do come to an end, and Cinemarati was a good thing. I still plan to keep up with individual members. I have visited MaryAnn (the Flick Filosopher) Johanson's site upon occasion, and of course, I have also visited the Self-Styled Siren, Lynn Lee, and the House Next Door. I don't plan to wear out my welcome at either of these sites, but I don't plan to neglect them either.

In the meantime, I'll concentrate on this site. I don't consider it yet to be in the same class as Cinemarati was at its peak and indeed, it may never be in that class.

But, hey, I can dream, can't I?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger MaryAnn Johanson said...

Hey, Tonio. Thanks for your nice words about Cinemarati, and for your contributions to the various incarnations of the site and organization.

"Quite recently the site has had a number of technical difficulties, and because the difficulties were beyond the power of the current adminstration to fix, a decision was made to close the site down."

Actually, just to be clear, the technical difficulties were kinda just the last straw. Cinemarati would have been shutting down even if everything had been working perfectly.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Tonio Kruger said...

You're welcome, MaryAnn.

I kinda guessed that the technical difficulties were just one of many reasons why the site was shutting down.

Thanks for confirming my guess.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home