Monday, January 16, 2006

“I Have a Dream...”

It's MLK Day here in Dallas.

If not for Martin Luther King, Jr., it's very unlikely that I as a person of Mexican descent would be able to work where I work, live where I live or even eat out where I eat out. I owe him and his brethren -- and sisthren -- in the Civil Rights Movement a tremendous debt that I can never really repay -- save by standing up for the rights of others.

I suppose that's one reason I chose to vote against Proposition 2, the anti-gay marriage proposition that was voted on here in Dallas just last November. Technically, my vote against it seemed at best a quixotic gesture. But it was better than doing nothing at all. And even though I am not now nor ever been a homosexual, I can hardly expect my rights as a Mexican-American to be fought for if I don't fight for the rights of others.

As the old cliché goes, what goes around comes around...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home