Wednesday, January 02, 2019

Most Thrillers Nowadays Actually Could Use a Grain of Salt...


If you were to mention the phrase "Russian conspiracy involving the U.S. President" today, it's a safe bet that most Americans would not think of the scenario mentioned in the 2010 movie Salt...

Nevertheless, for such a "dated" movie, it seemed surprisingly watchable. Indeed, I enjoyed the last half of this movie more than I did the last Mission: Impossible movie. (I knew I was in trouble with that one because while it wasn't really a bad movie, the plot was predictable enough that I actually started missing such sparkling dialogue like "the package is on the plane" -- which, of course, is a line from yet another Mission: Impossible movie. But I digress.)

Anyway, as tempted as I am to crack jokes about poor Angelina Jolie doing the Sydney Bristow routine and going all Alias on us, I actually liked this movie. Of course, due to my ethnic background, I could not help but find something ironic about a movie that basically asked us the audience to root for an accused woman who was actually guilty of the crime of which she was accused. Granted, she eventually redeemed herself by saving the world and proving herself to have been a good person all along -- if that is the correct terminology to use in regard to someone who showed no mercy in killing so many people -- but still...

In any event, Tom Cruise was originally supposed to play the title role in this movie and it's only after he backed out that Angelie Jolie took over. In a way, it's a good thing. The scene where she watched the villain through a glass window and tried to speak to him with her eyes and her facial expressions just wouldn't have worked with an actor like Mr. Cruise. And Ms. Jolie has played enough tough characters that she was more convincing in the role despite her size than I would have ordinarily thought possible -- even when she was being thrown around by someone who was so much bigger than she was. (Then again fights with the Great Big Guy are almost obligatory in this type of thriller.)

I suppose I should wrap up by commenting on the irony of an American action movie in which the native-born Yankees do little save sit around while a dang foreigner does all the real work involving in preventing World War III. Then again, isn't that the same premise you find in most James Bond movies? And look how popular they are with the Yanks!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home