Monday, October 22, 2018

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Even More Zombies


Hey, it's an allegory about Brexit. No, it's a horror film. No, it's a comedy. No, it's...

Well, that was the problem with the 2016 movie, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It didn't know what it was.

Ironically, if this film were to be released today, its climax would be seen as a metaphor for Brexit. Of course, that still would not improve the plot -- which seemed deliberately designed to frustrate both Jane Austen fans and action flick aficionados -- but it would probably give the critics something to talk about.

Apart from that, I was glad that this movie gave me another chance to see actor Matt Smith of Doctor Who fame, even if he seemed to be one of the few cast members who had any idea what type of movie this was supposed to be. For that matter, I was glad to see actress Lena Headey though I did feel a bit sorry that her character was so wasted. Apart from posing for a portrait that seemed inspired by a nineteenth century version of S. M. Stirling's Draka novels, she really didn't have a whole lot to do in this flick apart from teasing the audience with the possibility that the whole thing might not turn out to be an unwatchable mess after all.

As it was, the only thing that really intrigued me about the rest of the movie was ironically the very last scene. As much as I hate to admit it, there was a part of me that wanted to know what happened next -- a thing I found quite odd because up until then, I didn't really care that much what happened.

Oh, well. Any sequel that was longer than ten minutes would have been a waste of time, anyway.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home